INDIAN BACKS SET FOR TILT

Kast, Frost, and Burroughs Dartmouth Leather-Iuggers

By Irvin M. Horowitz

At long last Harvard faces a team without a superlative to its name. With the arrival of Dartmouth this Saturday, there comes the first eleven which has not been lauded as "the best service team in the East," as North Carolina Pre-Flight was, or "the best team in the Ivy League," Penn's pretty title, or even "the second best team in the South," a name somebody gave to William & Mary.

Dartmouth has not been praised to the skies, but that does not mean the Crimson has a picnic awaiting it in the Stadium. The Indians have a fast set of ball-carriers, as good a display of backfield talent as will be seen all year long.

Captain Kast at Wingback

Captain Bud Kast, who came up the hard way, is a speedy wingback who doesn't let moss grow under his feet. He is also a topnotch forward passer, and a very good place kicker. The fullback on this club is Tom Douglas, a Sophomore standout last fall. Starting his career as a halfback, Douglas was switched to the bucking position, and he took to his new assignment like Bernie Gallagher to the Harvard double shift.

Triple-threats aren't scarce at Hanover, either. Meryll Frost may not be a starter against the Crimson, but he will be very much in evidence before the battle is over. A crafty Junior, Frost does everything well and is probably the speediest member of the Green backfield.

Ray Wolfe Is Indian Ace

But the real terror of this crew is Ray Wolfe, the triple-threat around whom the Indians center most of their attack. Injuries shackled him most of last season, but he's in the best of health this year. Wolfe and Kast have combined to produce a lot of misery for Dartmouth opponents in the past, and they will be back at the old stand this Saturday.

Least-known of the Green starters is quarterback John Burroughs, a Sophomore who weighs 215 and towers six feet, two inches above terra firma. He is a good blockers, but hasn't had too much experience. And Freshmen Larry Bartnick, Dale Armstrong, and Jack Sayers, all of whom did yeoman work against little Miami of Ohio, round out the Green backs, a formidable set of pigskin toters.