LAW SCHOOL CALLS OFF FINAL OF AMES CONTEST

Annual Series Closed For Lack of Students

Again the wartime pinch has made itself felt in the Law School. Because of the School's decreased enrollment, the annual Ames Competition finals have been called off, probably for the duration.

The final arguments, which usually take place sometime during the spring are the result of a series of competitions held throughout the usual three-year course at the Law School. Only third year students are allowed to participate.

Although the hard-hit third year class will be unable to take part in the fictitious case which, in the past, has been presented in mock trial, the first and second year preliminary competitions will take place as usual.

Top Tribunals Try Cases

Last year United States Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, together, with Judge Harrie B. Chase of the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and Judge Calvert Magruder of the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the First Circuit presided over the mock case of Columbia Broadcasting System vs. Federal Communications Commission.

Survivors from some 60 competing clubs, the James Law Club conducted the case Columbia Broadcasting System, while the Federal Communications Commission was represented by the Powell Club. The judges named the James Club winner of the contest.

The Ames Competition was established in 1910 on the death of James B. Ames '68, former Dean of the Law School. A $500 prize, taken from the Ames Fund. Is awarded each year to the club winning the competition.

The student lawyers who ordinarily number about 800, have been reduced to less than 200 this year. Unable to obtain draft deferment because of their profession, most of them have been inducted into the Service.

The law clubs, each having eight members, start competing, for the Ames competition during their first year. In a series of three arguments one member of a club first competes with another member, then two members of the same club compete with two other members, and finally two members of one club argue with two members of another club. This comprises the work for the first year.