CRIMSON MAY HALT FEARED ARMY POWER

Harvard Underdog Against veteran-Studded Soldiers

By Joseph H. Sharlltt

The war-cry rising from the broad athletic fields and somber halls of West Point has been "revenge" over since the fall term opened some weeks ago. But Yamashita and his henchmen are not the only targets for this military wrath, for Harvard's own Dick Harlow comes in for a major share of the determined anger of the plebes and upperclassmen.

For it was just one year ago that Coach Earl Blaik left the shores of the Hudson with one of the best-coached teams that had been developed in army's long and honorable history. And it was on the following Saturday that a Harlow-concocted offense exploded in the faces of eleven bewildered cadets and gave the rising Crimson Varsity a 20-6 victory and a leading spot among the East's team.

Crimson is Underdog

The situation this year is almost the same. Once again the Crimson enters the game a rank underdog. Once again, Blaik has built a crushing attack around hammering Hank Mazur and ripping Ralph Hill, two bruising triple threat backs. And again, the slow-to develop Harlow attack may be ripe to blast the Army.

But the analogy stops there. West Point has a better line, more balance in the backfield and more defensive grit than last year. Jim Kelleher, elongated end and plebe frank Merritt are the standouts of a tremendous forward wall that repulsed Lafayette, Cornell and Columbia's Governali so well. In the Columbia tussle the Lion's ace pitcher was rushed unmercifully by these behemoths, resulting in the complete throttling of their pass attack.

Offensively Blaik's backs and ends have proved their mettle by rolling up 76 points in three games. Mazur and Hill have provided the punch while veteran Harsch Jarrel and a former Dartmouth star. Plebe George Troxell, have contributed superior blocking to round out a balanced picture.