Three Crimson Eights Set To Meet Fall Adversaries

Dartmouth Oarsmen Face Race in Basin

By Douglas A. Brown

Unless the fates have decided otherwise, the Crimson will prevail this afternoon in the first intercollegiate fall regatta of Tom Bolles' Harvard career when three shells from Newell, one from M.I.T., B.U., and Dartmouth slider across the starting line of the Henley distance on the Basin at 4:30 o'clock.

Strictly an informal affair the race all came as a result of a request from Hanover for a fall contest. Figuring that it would give his boys something to work for, Tom Bolles had a regatta arranged and has entered the Varsity heavies, one-fifties, and Freshman heavies.

Crimson Strong

It is power-laden Crimson Varsity which will face its rivals tomorrow: Stroked by Bus Curwen, who has yet to lose a race and packed from bow to stern with veteran oarsmen, if should leave grey water between them and their nearest opponent.

The other Crimson entries are less sure bets, but the one-fifties boast several veterans in Bill Malcolm and Johnny Abbott. The Freshmen are as yet untested but green oarsmen are conspicuous by their absence.

Against this strong aggregation are matched three boats of unknown quality. the Tech forces will enter a beat composed of accelerated rowers who will be pulling their last race for the engineers. Boston University's power is likewise unknown, but it received a swift shot last week when jay McRae, their colored stroke returned to number eight sweep.

Dartmouth will field the strangest crew to hit the Charles in a long time. Completely unrecognized by the Hanover authorities, the crew has made the trip on their own, and are banking in friends' homes. Although the men are green, what they back in experience will no doubt be made up for a fight.