WLP SPONSOR REVEALS NAME

First Program a Success, Says Organizer Puterbaugh

WLP, Leverett's new radio network, went on the air for the first time yesterday afternoon. In the initial broadcast, Walter L. Puterbaugh '45, president of the World Wide Leverett Philharmonic Broadcasting System, revealed to the listening audience the location, sponsor, and history of the network.

As the first reports from members of the House trickled into the station's studio in Leverett J-25, Puterbaugh announced that the first broadcast had been "completely successful." Since the station was on the air until 12 o'clock last night, most of the House has had a chance to tune in, and complete results should be known within the next few days.

Heard In McKinlock

The station's technicians had previously announced that their broadcasts probably could not be picked up outside Mather Hall, but early reports revealed that the station was audible in the library, common room, and even dining room of McKinlock. As yet it has not been picked up by all four corners of the Hall. However, as soon as the carrying power of the transmitter becomes definitely known, its amplification may be increased.

The Leverett broadcasting system operates with standard transmitting equipment and not through the electric power lines as does the Crimson Network. For this reason the transmitter must be limited to conform with the regulations of the Federal Communications Commission.

This afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, WLP will again go on the air. A complete recording of Mozart's opera Don Giovanni performed by the Glyndebourne Festival Opera Company will be broadcast. The network will go off the air for the day at 5:30 o'clock, but Leverett House listeners will again hear the voice of the Philharmonic Broadcasting System Sunday morning at 10 o'clock.