Booters Force Cadets Down to Scoreless Tie

Crimson Dominates Game in Overtime

If a Cadet eleven marched freely in the Stadium Saturday, it was quite another story when the Army soccer team met the Varsity in a mid-morning battle on the Business School field. After four quarters and two overtime periods, the decision remained indefinite and both booting squads had to feel satisfied with a scoreless tie.

Both played careful, precise ball with a strong defense and talented individual play giving the Crimson a useless edge in midfield. Army's style of hard-hitting soccer, plus a lack of Crimson scoring drive prevented Harvard from gaining a win.

Repeatedly, the Varsity failed to capitalize on scoring surges deep in the Cadets' territory, and the visiting full-blacks slammed the ball back to the mid-stripe. After a fiercely-played fourth period, the game went into overtime. The Crimson dominated the play during those two sudden-death five-minute sessions, but could not tally.

Sluggish action marked the first half. Thayer Drake's penalty shot, which sailed futilely over the cross-bar, was the nearest thing to a Varsity goal. The Pointers lived up to their reputation for driving power, amazing the Harvard defense with long range firing.

After a spiritless third quarter, the few hundred spectators were re-awakened by an all-out 22 minutes. The left side of the Harvard line with Eli Berman, Jack Calhoun, and Drake forced their way forward again and again, only to fail because of lack of sufficient offensive support from the halfbacks.

Army came closest to a score when goalie Mike Keene ran out for the ball which bounced elusively away in front of the nets. Two Cadet forwards charged in and only a swift boot by fullback Ward Slingerland saved the game.

In the overtime periods, the combination of Drake and Calhoun almost clicked several times and once a single fullback stood between Berman and the goal. The overdrawn contest ended with Army preparing for a corner kick.

Standouts for the Crimson were fullbacks Bob Harbison and Slinger and centerhalf Jack Clarke and the Berman, Drake, Calhoun trio on the attack. Chief faults, however, were the failure of the halves to support the Crimson offense and an unexplainable lack of scoring punch.

At 1 o'clock Polly Guyda's Freshman eleven met and outmanouvered a visiting Andover squad and walked off with a 4-0 triumph. Garland scored twice and Rogers and Guild once apiece for the Yardlings.

The Varsity lineup:

G, Keene; lf, Giles, Slingerland; rf, Harbison; lh, Mallory; ch, Slingerland, Clarke; rh, Butcher, Allen; lo, Berman; li, Drake, Murphy; cf, Calhoun, Sawhill; ri, Gifford, Dixon; ro, Apthorp, Murphy, Kempner