Underdog Crimson Engages Mighty Penn

Stiff and Welsh Pace Visitors in Workout

Penn didn't look as big as its press releases when it jogged out on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon for a final practice, but a glance at its perfectly conditioned, automaton-like maneuvers convinced any observer that the Quakers were out for blood.

After Coach George Munger led the team in a calisthenics drill, the boys practiced passing and kicking. Wingback Jackie Welsh, a left-footed punter, struck terror into the hearts of the few Crimson supporters watching with several long, angled spirals of better than 60 yards.

Stiff Pitches Strikes

Then Bert Stiff, who probably comes into Harvard Stadium with as big a reputation as any man the Harlowmen will face all year, limbered up his big right arm, and he pitched nothing but strikes to his receivers, who included Bernie Kuczynski, captain of the Red and Blue.

Joe Kane, substitute wingback who failed to make up a course last spring, and only reported for practice last Tuesday, was also on hand, but it is doubtful whether he will start today.

Weismiller to Start

The makeup of the rest of the first team was quite a bit different from that released earlier this week, and there were a few new names on the lineup. Walt Weismiller, a senior who was kept out of play because of illness last year, has replaced Don Bitler at center. Art DeBattista, champion heavyweight wrestler of all the east, has ousted Ed Grain at guard, and Cleo Calcagni will be at tackle, with Bernie Gallagher right behind him.

Dick Martin, converted end who had to relearn the duties of a blocking back, a task he had left behind him in his Freshman year, will be the brains of the Munger backfield, barking out Penn's signals.

Ace Backfield

So the four men behind Penn's formidable 200-pound line will be Welsh, Stiff, Martin, and Bill Miller, tailback speed-boy who looked very good against George Pre-Flight, a pro-studded outfit which triumphed over the Quakers, 14 to 6. This is as accomplished a quartet as can be found in collegiate circles, and Penn's backfield replacements are topflight.

Besides Kane, there is Bob Odell, brother of the Eli mogul, another man who can carry the mail.