Harlowmen Lose Lyle For Rest of Campaign

Star Against Tigers Gets Leg Fracture

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Gordy Lyle, the Crimson wingback whose last-second touchdown dash against Princeton gave Harvard its only 1942 victory, will play no more football for Dick Harlow. Lyle's injury, suffered while trying to block Michigan's fifth point-after-touchdown, was established yesterday as a left fracture and the fleet Senior is out for the season.

The loss of Lyle was the crowning blow of a doleful weekend for the Harlow forces, and it is a battered Crimson eleven which prepares for the onslaughts of a Brown Bear out of hibernation.

With Bill Wilson, who took a body beating at Ann Arbor, a doubtful starter against the Bruins, Harlow has only one semi-hale wingback, Cleo O'Donnell, and the speedy welterweight has a lacerated jaw.

So practice yesterday found the Crimson mentor looking for a back to take some of the pressure off O'Donnell. He has Bart Harvey, baseball captain, who is a spark in every practice session, but Harvey has not seen a minute of action all fall. There also is Steve Gifford, Jayvee wingback and, like Lyle, a trackman. Gifford and Harvey will undoubtedly come in for a lot of tutelage this week, and either man or both should see action Saturday.

The usual Monday program of labs and mil sci drills kept the squad at skeleton strength, but Harlow drove his B and C team players through a long scrimmage, working out with a white ball until long after dusk.

Harvey and Paul Perkins were impressive backs in the contact drill but the downfield blocking, a department at which the Crimson has not been too proficient this fall, was particularly commendable, with tackle Bob Byrnes doing a major share of the work. On the defense, Freshman Mike Kahn, a tackle, jolted the B backs frequently.

Passing and kicking drills preceded the scrimmage, and Jack Graf, mimic extraordinary of opposing stars, played the role of Brown's Don Savage, a one-man army against Holy Cross Saturday.

The status of Swede Anderson is pretty much a matter of conjecture, and Swede was not in uniform yesterday, but it is generally believed that the blond bulwark of the Crimson defense will be doing business at the same old stand on Saturday.

Team A: le, Barnes; lt, Hibbard; lg, Gudaitis; c, Andersen; rg, Stannad; rt, W. Fisher; re, Forte; qb, Goethals; wb, O'Donnell, tb, Richards; fb, Johnson.