HANFORD SAYS FDR PROPOSAL LIKE CONANT'S

Dean Not Sure Whether Army Will Select Harvard

Commenting on President Roosevelt's statement providing for the utilization of colleges as military training centers and the establishment of a committee to consider the problem of post-war education, Dean Hanford said last night that the plan appears similar to President Conant's proposal for government-endowed scholarships.

"Of course," he said, "President Roosevelt's announcement is entirely general and nothing of the true nature of the plan can be known until the committee is selected and it has drawn up its program, but as far as I can see it is an eminently worthwhile plan. Whether Harvard is to be used by the Army for special training is something I do not know."

Perkins Praises Plan

Elliott Perkins, head of the War Service Information Bureau, also remarked on the similarity of the announcement to what President Conant has been urging for some time. "It is an excellent plan," Perkins said, "and is absolutely essential."

Adding that men who have been admitted to college will be able to prove that ability again, he said that under this proposal the path will be opened to men of intelligence, but of limited means, to attend college.

The entire announcement stressed the fact that ability alone will be the criterion for selection, both in training of men now and in giving aid to men after the war.

In concluding his statement, President Roosevelt said, "Men will be selected solely on the basis of their ability and without regard to whether or not they are now in college or whether they could otherwise afford to go to college."