COLLEGE NOT TO COPY INDIAN PLAN TO END SENIOR MIDYEARS

Dartmouth to Let Seniors Leave After General Exams

Despite reports from Hanover that Dartmouth Seniors who are graduating this month will be excused from their final examinations, Dean Hanford announced last night that the College would continue its present practice of granting such excuses only in exceptional cases.

A repetition of a similar move taken last June, the action was made at Dartmouth in order to free graduating students for military or civilian service about two weeks earlier than could otherwise be the case. Seniors are now required to take only what is an equivalent of our General Examinations.

As the regulations stand here, Seniors who are candidates for honors may be excused from their mid-year examinations, if they take an hour exam late in the term. Usually these excuses are granted only for the subjects in which the students are concentrating, but occasionally permission may be obtained for excuses in distribution courses as well.

In addition, Dean Hanford said that special final examinations were given in special cases where students were about to be drafted. In fact, for one individual the General Examination has been moved up to this month.

In contrast to the Dartmouth statement that its diplomas would be presented by mail, Hanford announced that plans for very simplified graduation ceremonies here were still under discussion.