Sorokin Will Address Rally on War Effort

Movies and Speeches On Program Tonight

In mass demonstrations of student solidarity behind the war effort, colleges and universities in all of the United Nations will celebrate International Students Day. Specifically commemorating the massacre of a group of Czech students in 1939, today's event will encompass the entire war effort in its activities.

At Harvard the day will be marked by an intensive drive for War Bond and Stamp sales, and a rally at 8 o'clock this evening in New Lecture Hall. The Stamp sales will be under the direction of John W. Ellison '44.

Sold Everywhere

In order to sell the expected number of Bonds and Stamps there will be sales booths in all Houses and clubs, in Widener Library, and at the rally in the evening. The committee urges all men to make their intended War Bond purchases today as the only possible demonstration of their feeling.

In the second part of the day's events, the rally, Pitrim A. Sorokin, professor of Sociology, and Carl Deutsch, M.I.T. instructor who came over from Czechoslovakia recently, will speak. Other members of the Faculty will be present, including Ralph Barton Perry '21, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy.

War Movies on Program

Three movies will be shown of activities on the United Nations fronts, including "Diary of a Polish Airman," filmed in 1939; "Listen to Britain," recent film of the British war effort, and "Five Men of Vellish," newly filmed story of fighting in Russia.

During the day there will be an exhibition of secret pamphlets and publications at the entrance to the Widener reading room. Leaflets printed in Germany and distributed by the Underground, as well as leaflets sent over in planes by the Allies will be there.

Another feature of the rally program will be the "United Nations Song" written for the Allies by the Russian composer, Shostakovitch, with new English lyrics. This will be the first time the song has been heard at the University.

Expressing the keynote of the day in a statement last night, Perry, chairman of the American Defense League, Harvard Group, said, "In the name of the young men and women who gave their lives for the right to have minds of their own, students today solemnly resolve that these rights shall be restored and perpetuated."