Final Heavy Drill Before Eli Game Held in Stadium

Richards and Wilson Run Through Signals

By Robert S. Landau

Harvard Stadium had its last taste of cleats for the year, and most probably for the duration of the war, yesterday when the morning rain made the regular football practice field unplayable and moved the Varsity and Jayvee squads inside the ivied walls.

The half dozen camp followers who rattled about in the empty stands saw pretty much what they've been seeing all year: kicking and passing practice, signal drill, playing against opposing team formations on offense and defense.

Opposing Team in Blue

But the fact that the opposing team was in Blue uniforms made a difference, because this week's game is in many ways the reason for all the practice sessions at which they've been bored since September. All the hipper-dipper that they've marvelled at on Wednesdays without seeing on Saturdays may finally be unveiled.

To make everything even more familiar, Don Richards was back at tailback, alternating with Jack Comeford who had taken over the spot in his absence, and Bill Wilson ran through signal drill, although on team B. The rest of the team was the same as it has been for the past ten days, except for the absence of Swede Anderson who had a lab.

Offensive Drill Long

Despite the slippery turf, Harlow put the squad through an extra-long offensive drill, the last hard workout before the game. Paul Perkins, moved up to the "B" team since Tom Cowen was sharing the number one spot with Wayne Johnson, looked especially good in the running department.

The guard situation was the same as it has been all week. Charley Gudaitis and Sid Smith were the first stringers, with Bobby Byrnes and Wally Kamp on the second eleven. George Hibbard and Bob Fisher were the third pair.

Brown Movies

Concluding the home football activities for the year, students will have a chance to look back on the Varsity's victory against Brown, when movies of the game will be shown in New Lecture Hall at 7:30 o'clock tonight. Coach Stahl will give a running commentary.

It is also rumored that a more dramatic conclusion is to take place, for at sundown today the skies at Soldiers Field are theoretically to glow from flames given up by an effigy in Blue.