JV-'46 Eleven Hits Bulldog 7-0; Varsity Soccer Team Loses 2-0

Three Injuries Hold Back Crimson Squad

A Crimson soccer team that started out with high hopes for an outstanding record closed its season Friday fighting against a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Yale. The eleven thus finished last in a Big Three that boasted two of the best teams in the East.

Handicapped at the outset by three important injuries, the Varsity team succombed to the Blue onslaught led by Hugh Cumming and Jack Lilley. On the Crimson casualty list were Mike Keene, first-line goalie, Ward Slingerland, and Bill Butcher.

Hodgson Leads Defense

As a result of Keene's injury, Howie Hodgson sparked the Varsity defense by his outstanding kicks from the net. This was the first game in which Hodgson had played. Also making their debut in Varsity soccer were Dave Ogden and Ed Close, both Freshmen. Twenty-four men received their numerals.

The first score was made in the second period when Lilley, Yale halfback, tallied on a free kick. The Elis came through again in the third quarter to make their second goal on a clean shot into the high left-hand corner of the Crimson net when George Caulkins booted the ball from his wing position.

While the Varsity team was meeting a superior Yale force, a combination Jayvee-Freshman squad fell before a similar Eli team by a score of 3-1.

The lone Crimson goal was made when Guild put a hard boot past Wilcox, the Yale goalie, early in the second period. At the half the Blue had tied the score, and in the last quarter they piled up two more tallies against the Jayvee-Freshman