SQUASH TEAM LED BY FELT

With 25 or 30 potentially able candidates fighting for positions to be fitted around a strong nucleus from last years' team, squash coach John (Jack) Barnaby '32 finds himself at the moment in the alarming spot of having a team with nobody to play.

This state of affairs exists because the Massachusetts State League, which during the playing season provides the sum and substance of the teams practice, has thus far not come forth with a schedule. And when the schedule finally does emerge, Barnaby says, it will only include an "A" and a "B" league, as opposed to last year's five or six. Even the intercollegiate matches stand a good chance of being cancelled by an edict that prohibits minor sports teams from being transported by the University.

But while wartime transportation problems have effectively put the damper on most of the season, the Yale match on February 6 and the Intercollegiate match, not yet definitely dated, remain to Barnaby as pillars around which to build his season. Even the Penn-Princeton matches, traditionally an intercollegiate opener, have been officially called off. There is just a chance, according to Barnaby, that his match will be played informally in New York during the Christmas vacation, opening Ivy League competition.

The players that Barnaby will use, when and if he gets a chance, are strong. Gaelen Felt '43 captains the team and occupies the number one spot, where he played last year. Felt, an exceptionally steady player, won his Yale match last year 3-0 while the team as a whole was losing 6-3.

Second and third rankings are held by Decker Orr and Tom Sears, probably in that order. Orr, a hard-hitter who was ineligible last year, and Sears, who plays a similar game, are both regarded by Barnaby as distinct threats to Felt's number one rank. Sears lost his Yale match last year 3-2 to Dick Cooley, who later reached the final round in the Intercollegiate Championships.

These two are followed by Wally McDonald, whom Barnaby sees as the most improved player on the squad. McDonald is playing his third year of squash and has risen from eighth slot last year to this year's number four.

Final four rankings are held by Dudley Palmer, ineligible during the year's playing season, Tom Baker, who won his Yale match 3-1, George Clay, and Cortland Parker. This completes eight of the nine spots on the team, and 25 or so hopefuls are trying to fit themselves into this last niche