Bleeding Hearts

Many contracts, in which the saving of human lives was involved, have been blatantly broken by Harvard men in the past two months. 150 pints of blood, enough to save the lives of ten persons, were promised to the Red Cross Blood Bank in Boston. Yet, in the face of a critical shortage caused by the use of some 500 pints in the treatment of Cocoanut Grove victims, Harvard students have failed to take advantage of the best means yet offered to "do something" while waiting Army call.

Since the beginning of the fall term, the Blood Donor Service of the War Service Committee has made over three hundred appointments for students to donate blood, a more than satisfactory showing. Yet Harvard's contribution has been a disappointment, because the nod of the head to the solicitor has often proved a hollow promise. Over half of these appointments have not been kept, nor have the delinquent donors even bothered to notify the Center in advance. The staff and equipment stands idle because some Harvard student lost his nerve, or simply forgot. The irregularity of applicants in keeping appointments has so far caused the Boston Center to run an average of 200 pints behind the army-navy quota of 3000 pints a week. Appointments are still being made throughout the College in increasing numbers. But an appointment slip is not a pint of blood.