Poll Today Will Pick Convenient Graduation Date

Conant Can be at Ceremony Here January 10, 17, or 24

In an attempt to discover from the 400-odd students who expect to graduate in February when it would be most convenient for them to attend a baccalaureate address by President Conant, the CRIMSON poll on graduation exercises will be distributed in the House dining halls at lunch and dinner today.

President Conant has announced that he stands ready to speak on Sunday, January 10, January 17, or January 24, and students are asked to signify which of the three possibilities are feasible for them. In addition, they will be queried on possible support for very simplified Class Day exercises and for such possible class activities as a supper or a dance.

Serious Objections

There are serious objections to all three alternatives, it was pointed out by F. Barton Harvey '43, third marshal of the class and at the present time in charge of plans. The weekend of the tenth is surrounded by General Examinations. The following Sunday is the day before midyears begin, and in addition, he said, is open to the objection that Seniors graduating with honors will have completed their work and may have left Cambridge.

January 24 falls in the middle of the exam period, and is so late in the month that still more students will have left College. The later the ceremonies are held, the more students will have joined the Armed Services, Harvey added.

Simple Ceremonies

With regard to the possibility of Class Day ceremonies, it was emphasized by both Dean Hanford and Harvey that the traditional exercises would have to be greatly simplified. They would, however, include the usual Ivy Oration, Ode, and other ceremonies.

The final question on the ballot is designed to discover whether the Seniors and Juniors who are graduating would have the time for such traditional class festivities as it may be possible to arrange.