UNIVERSITY WILL RECOGNIZE RECORDS OF ARMY STUDENTS

Faculty Approves of Institute's Program

Full consideration in regulations on College admissions and academic standing after the war will be given to records of members in the services who study under the Army Institute program, Dean--Buck announced last night following a formal vote of approval by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The Faculty, however, registered its emphatic disapproval of granting credit without regard for educational achievements on a blanket basis.

For men who are invalided out of the services or mustered out at the conclusion of the war, the basis for entrance to Harvard or for academic standing will be in part the record of study under the Army Institute, and the results of tests given by it. It was emphasized, however, that this would only serve as an "assistance to the colleges in supplementing their own tests as to the ability of applicants to benefit from later college training."

Institute Program

Hearty approval was voted by the Faculty for the objectives of the program of continuing education in the armed forces developed by the Army Institute in conjunction with the Training Division of the Navy. Cooperation of the Faculty in every way possible was promised.

The recently announced Army Institute provides self-teaching, correspondence courses in a wide variety of subjects, worked out by skilled educators, as well as selected extension courses offered by some 80 approved colleges. In addition educational opportunities are offered in technician, officer candidate, and officer specialist schools. These range from a four week's course in radio communication to a twelve months' course in Japanese.