Committee of Council Examines Radio Shop

Conversion Charge Pressed in Courts

Acting as the result of numerous protests it had received from Harvard students, the Council Committee on Consumer's Aid and Unfair Practices made an investigation last spring of the Cambridge Minute Man radio shop which led to a legal battle in the Small Claims Court, according to a recent report made by F. Barton Harvey '43, of the special committee, to the Council.

Under Harvey's directorship, the Council committee conducted a test case against the radio concern by submitting to it for repairs a radio one of whose tubes it had partially removed in advance. The committee alleges that so far as it knew the set was otherwise in good working condition, and that nevertheless a bill for repairs of $6,35 was presented.

Radio Delivery Refused

The unfair Practices group then asked for its radio and announced its intention of having the instrument checked by another dealer with an itemized list of Minute Man repairs before him. Delivery of the radio was refused, however, on the grounds, as later alleged in court, that its owners were unwilling to pay the bill for which they were charged.

When Harvey maintained that he has been denied possession even after offering to pay the full $6.35, the issue went to the Small Claims Court with a charge of conversion against the Minute Man radio shop. The judge decided that Harvey had failed to prove his charge, but that the original bill against him should be lowered to $5.00.

More Cases Handled

The case against the Minute Man radio shop is only one of a number which have been undertaken by the Student Council's special committee. Last year conclusive evidence was presented of the fraudulent practices of a small automobile repair shop on Boylston Street, which led to the conviction of its owner in the courts. Soon afterwards the concern went out of business, and its proprietor left Cambridge.