BUSINESS SCHOOL ERECTS NEW DINING HALL FOR EXPANDING NAVAL STUDENTS

Building Finished November 16 in Less than Six Weeks

In less than six weeks after the ground was broken, the Business School had completed the erection of a new dining hall for 755 Navy students, on North Harvard Street, across from the Stadium.

With two complete counters, each including a coffee urn, refrigerator, and steam tables to keep food warm, they manage to serve 30 men per minute, cafeteria style, thus completing the whole feeding in an hour. The men eat from the Army regulation trays at 60 tables seating ten people each, in a high-well-lighted room. As the students enter the dining room, a large locker is at their disposal to hang coats and hats.

The dining hall is named to Thomas Jefferson Cowie, in whose honor a plaque is hung on the wall stating: "Thomas Jefferson Cowie, Rear Admiral Supply Corps, U. S. Navy. At his insistence, the first attempts to serve a healthily balanced ration in the Navy were made in in 1882 on board the U. S. S. New Hampshire. He banished 'salt horse and cracker bash' from the high seas."

Cowie Hall is the second building built especially for the Naval Supply students of the Business School: the first one was Carpenter Hall, which is used us a lecture hall as well as sleeping quarters. The reason for the construction of these buildings is to accommodate the constant increase in the influx of students day by day.