Basketball Team Beats MIT; Sextet Thrashes Weak Tufts

Pucksters Tally Early To Whip Jumbos 8-0

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Coach John Chase used everybody but his managers Saturday afternoon at the Boston Skating Club, where the Crimson skaters opened their season with an 8 to 0 whitewash of a hopelessly outclassed Tufts sextet.

Five lines, three sets of defenseman, and three goalies saw action for the Chase men, who were kept from running hog wild only by the outstanding play of Jumbo goalie Steve Inn is.

Billy Harding, Freshman wing who was starting in his first game as a College student, proved the offensive ace of the day, pulling the hat trick and assisting in another goal.

This Crimson started their drubbing early, and kept pouring it on until the final whistle. After the first line had threatened but failed, the second Varsity trio found the enemy twines at 4:40, when Johnny Burton scored on a pass from Al Everts. Mare Beebe, first center, made it 2 to 0 just 35 seconds later, backhanding a pass from Bill Harding for the second tally.

Then Harding, who emnalted Brother Austie in most spectacular fashion, proceeded to score three consecutive goals, two in the first period, and one in the early moments of the second canto. Most interesting of the three markers was the first, in which Dick Mechem stated through the entire Tufts defense and handed Harding a surepop pass right in front of the eage. Earl Acker, Beche, and Captain Johnny Paine aided his other efforts