Adams, Dudley, Winthrop Lowell Win Hockey Games

Leverett and Adams Basketball Victors

By Lawrence G. Reisz

Four hockey and two basketball games made up the program yesterday as the House winter sports officially got under way. The basketball contests were held in the afternoon in the Indoor Athletic Building, while the skaters battled in the evening at the Boston Skating Club rink.

Winthrop's House champions of last year kept up their winning ways in the first game of the series by swamping the Kirkland sextet 6-2. Starring for the Puritans were Bill Butcher and Art Lee, who between them scored half the goals for their team.

Adams Downs Eliot

Following the Winthrop victory, the Adams pucksters pulled out of a tie in the first period to defeat the Eliot Elephants by a margin of two goals, the final score being 4-3.

Dudley, Ramblers, facing a similar first period deadlock, ended up with a 3-1 margin over Dunster. Sparking the Commuters' offense was the trio of Connolly, Cummings, and Donahue, who accounted between them for all three tallies for Dudley.

Lowell Defeats Leverett

In the last game of the series, the Lowell hockey team won by a single goal over the Leverett Bunnies. In doubt till the last minutes of play, the Bellboys' 2-1 victory was almost broken by the fast play of Gordie chase and Al Aldrich, all House end.

Leverett and Adams came out on top in the afternoon basketball games, the Bunnies beating Eliot 34-20, white the Goldcoasters took the Dudley five 23-15. Both games showed the effects of the week of pre-season practice which the hoopsters had this year, with what last year would have been midseason form.

High scorers in the Leverett win were Bart Harvey and Norm Cameron, with nine and eight points apiece, while for the Elephants Ollie Moses led the scoring with ten points, ably assisted by the excellent forward play of Andy Crichton.

Dick Holtan scored eight of the Goldcoasters' 23 points, while Bill Wilcox scored seven more. On the losing side of the contest Irv Rudman scored seven and John Vergobbi scored four points to account for all but two of the Rambler tallies.

Although the hockey round robin tournament will not be taken up again till next Monday when four more evening games will be played, the basketball contests will continue this afternoon.