Spellman will Talk on Raid Debris Rescues

In the last meeting tonight of the current revised ARP course under the direction of Clarence E. Walton, assistant director of the University Library, Dr. Martin Spellman will speak on methods of saving persons trapped in wreckage. Dr. Spellman's talk will be given at 7:30 o'clock this evening, in the New Lecture Hall, and will be open to the public.

He will bring along a special metal bar on which to demonstrate the cutting power of torches used in clearing away wreckage, and some of his lecture will be devoted to experiences in the Cocoanut Grove and East Boston fires. As Medical Examiner for the Boston Fire Department, Dr. Spellman was intimately associated with both disasters.

Assistant firemen will aid him in showing how such equipment as a pullmotor, various kinds of gas masks, and types of stretchers are used. Applying first aid to victims, a procedure which is said to have saved numerous lives in the Cocoanut Grove holocaust, will also be covered thoroughly in the talk. Under Walton's direction, the University ARP course was completely revamped and Red Cross courses applying strictly to air raid emergencies have been devised for those interested.