Firemen Demonstrate Lifesaving Apparatus

Citing examples from the recent fires in East Boston and the Cocoanut Grove, Dr. Martin Spellman, Medical Examiner of the Boston Fire Department, addressed a group of ARP workers and doctors last night in the New Lecture Hall on the subject of rescue work at fires and other grave emergencies.

His talk was liberally illustrated by actual photographs of these two disasters, as well as demonstrations of various lifesaving equipment.

Dr. Spellman described in detail the work of the stretcher bearers and ambulances recently, when many lives were. saved only by the efforts of these volunteers under the direction of the Fire Department.

The actual demonstration of the many complicated emergency devices was supervised by Captain James Kennedy of the Boston Fire Department. Among the pieces of apparatus he explained were a block for raising El cars to release persons pinned underneath, the gas mask and its proper use, and a combination inhalator-resuscitator to be used in cases where artificial respiration is needed. He claimed that this machine was far superior to manual resuscitation and gave several examples of miraculous recoveries from its use