ROTC DRILLS POLICE FORCE

Six hundred citizens of Cambridge are undergoing training as Auxillary Police, attending lectures in Sanders Theatre and drilling in Memorial Hall. Together with 50 members of the University's own police course, they are being instructed in infantry drill by students in the R.O.T.C. Regiment under the command of Cadet Colonel James G. Hayes '42.

The University course, which started several weeks ago, is training men to serve as auxiliaries for the University police. Their duties will therefore be separate from those of the Cambridge force, which will have police power throughout the city. Both are receiving instruction in the same fundamentals.

The City course is under the direction of Sergeant Cooper of the Cambridge police, and the University's is guided by Mason Hammond '25, associate professor of Greek and Latin, and History Members of both courses attend the lectures on such subjects as police law and riot control by Sergeant Cooper in Saunders, and then change over to Memorial Hall for the drill by members of Mil Sci 3 and 4.

According to Sergeant Cooper, the R.O.T.C. men are "doing a fine job." The drill they teach is necessary for police in affording a convenient means for moving about rapidly under difficult conditions. At the same time it affords an excellent opportunity for the student officers to get practice in drilling troops.