Eliot Men Win Crown In Inter-House Boxing

Dudley Takes Second Place, Winthrop Comes in Bad 3rd

In what Coach Henry Lamarr characterized as "the best contested bouts yet," Eliot House carried off the honors this afternoon in the annual inter-House boxing tournament.

Garnering the impressive total of 18 points, the Elephants had a five-point lead on Dudley and completely over shadowed Winthrop, which won third place.

Although disappointed that colds and injuries had at the last minute prevented 11 of the 30-odd entrants from competing, Lamarr emphasized that the fighting showed steady improvement over past years.

Individually, the final bout in the 135-pound class was outstanding. Defending champion John Bullitt, of Dunster, coming back to old form in the second round, landed enough punches in a wide open third to more than compensate for an early lead built up by Don Twombly of Leverett.

In the 145 group, another champion kept his title as Gene Reilly managed to overcome with his scientific tactics a slugging Joe Kameese of Kirkland House.

Other winners in the finals were Tom Bartlett in the 165 and Cecil Robinson, who was awarded the only, technical knockout of the afternoon, in the 175.