SALVEMINI SAYS OUSTER OF ITALIAN KING VITAL

Claims Italy Needs Republic After War

"Royalty has become a thing of the past in Italy, and a democratic republic should be set up there following the war," declared Gaetano Salvemini, lecturer in Italian civilization and former Italian citizen. The people have discredited the King, the royal family, and the Duce, who is generally thought to be a finished man.

Savemini, who fought Italian Fascism from the days of its earliest activities down to the 1922 march on Rome, asserted that the royal family had cast its lot completely with the totalitarian forces. "They sink or swim together," he asserted.

General Von Mackensen, the German Ambassador to Italy is the actual ruler of the country, Salvemini claimed. He supplants the monarch, and the falling predominance of German armed might dictator in the control of national affairs.

Salvemini feels, however, that the prevents the outbreak of revolution in Italy. "A serious military reverse must precedes any revolution, since under any other conditions German legions would kill all revolutionary attempts."

There but three alternatives for the post-war Italian government, Professor Salvemini advised. "The first is the continued domination of the royalty. This is disastrous since the liberal opposition, rather than accept this rule, would allow a free hand to a Communist upheaval, the second possibility. The third, and most acceptable, is the creation of a democratic republic."