Freshman Basketball Squad Victorious Twice As Fencers, Swimmers Lose to Loomis, Exeter

Hoopsters Begin to Move in Wins Over Tabor, Dummer

Freshman teams broke even in four of their scheduled events over the big sports weekend by capturing two of the contests planned for the basketball, swimming, and fencing squads.

The cagers trounced Tabor Academy 53-26, at Marion Saturday, and subdued Governor Dummer, 69-50, in the Indoor Athletic Building yesterday. The swimming team went down to close defeat against an unbeaten Exeter aggregation, 36-30, in the house pool Saturday afternoon, while the fencers traveled to Loomis on the same day to drop a 15-12 decision to the prep swordsmen.

'45 Quintet Hits Stride

In defeating Tabor and Governor Dummer, the Freshman hoopsters hit a stride which prompted Coach McCoy to term their play "phenomenal." In the Saturday game, the first five played only the opening period, piling up a comfortable 14 point lead. Relying mainly on the second string, as he has in the past three encounters, McCoy watched his scrubs run away with the remainder of the tussle, finished far in the van of the hard-playing, but outclassed Marion five.

In an informal game, the '45 scrubs, led by Guard John Barnes, defeated the Tabor third-stringers, 23-22.

But it was in the Dummer encounter that the Yardling quintet displayed the brand of play that brought smiles to Coach McCoy's otherwise complacent face. In the opening period, the first five, which is fast becoming the highest-scoring Freshman five in the east, racked up 30 points.

Once again throwing his scrubs into the fray, McCoy saw this tremendous lead slowly vanish in the face of a determined prep counter-attack. But the stellar first five started the last quarter and soon had things well under control. Frank Bixler, Capt. Mike Keene and substitute forward Sam Post led the scoring with eight tallies apiece.

The natators, anxious to rebound from the disastrous meet at Andover, had the misfortune to oppose an undefeated Exeter team. The red-and-gray swimmers were sparked by the performance of Capt. Bob Tower, who beat his mate Dick Ulen, son of the Crimson Varsity mentor, and Yardling Nathan Davis to a close victory in the 200 yard free style event.

Crimson Win Three Events

Harvard wins were scored in the 100 yard breast stroke, where Jim Hubbell came home on top, the 100 yard free style, where Bob Collins scored, and in the diving, where the Crimson entry, Harvey pastel, piled up 72.6 points to shade Breckenridge, the Exeter diver.

The loss Saturday puts the swimmers' record at three victories and an equal number of dunkings.

Coach Rene Peroy's fencers lost their first team match of the season against the Loomis foil, epee, and saber artists. Freshman Capt. Roland Gaeta provided the single achievement of the afternoon by taking all three of his foil matches. Most of the Freshman strength was centered in the foil and epee matches, where 10 of the 12 Yardling points were scored.

The fencers move into action next at Worcester Academy on March 7.