Sorokin, Karpovich Expect U. S., Russia to Cooperate

Discussion Held On Russian Relations

Agreeing that they did not expect any serious conflict between the United States and Russia, Michael Karpovich, associate professor of History, and Pitrim A. Sorokin, professor of Sociology spoke last night in a forum on "Anglo-American relations in the event of a Russian victory over Germany."

Charles B. Marshall, instructor in Government, was the third speaker in the discussion that was broadcast over the Crimson Network.

Karpovich, starting the forum, commented that the final victory for the Allies will not be won, in all probability, by the Russians alone. "We cannot overlook the part that England will play in the final victory," he said. "For two years, during which time the Russians had time to arm and prepare, the English stood alone against the Axis."

"I can anticipate an Anglo-Saxon bloc as a natural consequence of race, heritage and cultural background," Karpovich said. "Soviet relations will be with this whole bloc. Neither bloc will get its own way completely."

Sorokin Sees No Conflict

Sorokin pointed out that he did not see any real basis for any serious conflict between the fundamental interests of the United States and Russia. "Both of them are continents," he said. "Both of them do not need a serious territorial expansion at the cost of the other country. Their enemies are the same, beginning with Japan. Strange to say, even their psychology is either similar or supplementary."

"Strange as it may sound for many, the difference between American and Soviet political and economic regimes, tends to become less and less serious and less and less tangible," Sorokin said.

Marshall commented that Russia, in the final victory, will not be unmindful of the help which we have given her. "By our participation in the war," he said, "we are laying the psychological basis for cooperation with Russia after the war."

In answer to a question, Sorokin said that the basis for future Anglo-Russian relations was not as sound as the basis for cooperation between Russia and the United States.