Bingham Says Deficit Of HAA Only $17,000

Annual Report Summarizes Year's Sports Program Here

An operating deficit of $17,000 rather than the $60,000 loss expected, was suffered by the Harvard Athletic Association in the 1940-41 academic year, William J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, revealed yesterday in his annual report.

In the same period, Crimson athletic organizations compiled the record of 176 victories, 161 defeats, and 13 ties, Bingham reported. Undergraduates competing in fall, winter and spring sports totalled 1270.

Athletic Endowment Increased

Balancing the news of the deficit was the announcement that the University's endowment for the maintenance of athletic sports had reached the total of $421,317 at the end of the spring term.

Football games between the seven Houses and the Yale colleges, in addition to the regular Varsity, Junior Varsity, and Freshman contests, marked a successful intramural year. Of the 1202 House residents eligible for participation in the intramural program 67 percent took part in the various leagues.

According to the report of Arlie V. Book. Oliver Professor of Hygiene, a new record in the care of athletics was achieved last year.