PUDDING PLAY IS CALLED OFF

For the first time since the last war, the Hasty Pudding Club has decided to cancel its annual production in view of the national emergency and the pressure of many new demands upon students, publicity manager Holbrook R. Davis '43 announced last night. This year's show would have been the Club's 96th.

Financial difficulties, one of which was due to the union's insistence on a "closed shop" show, were anticipated by Theatricals officers of the Club. They also feared that it would have been a problem to bring a sufficient number of men out for the show who would definitely not be subject to the draft and who did not have other pressing problems in this war year. Advice of the Hasty Pudding Graduate Board was another important factor in the cancellation.

Book Had Hollywood Plot

Although a complete book had already been written by Coles Phinizy '42, Robert Benchley, Jr. '42, and Arthur Viner '42, and the musical score by Robert Coleman '42, the officers felt that "the arguments against a show were insurmountable. The story, revolving around Hollywood situations, was titled "Hey, Mr. Hays."

The decision to cancel the show was reached this week at a meeting of the following Theatricals officers: David Hadden '42, Robert Coleman, George VanB. Day '43, Robert W. Williams, and Paul Killiam, Jr. '37.

However, Glenn Miller may yet dedicate one of the songs already written, to the Hasty Pudding Club on one of his March radio programs.