MIKKOLA SEES TRACK SQUAD IMPROVEMENT

By Dan H. Fenn jr.

Although the Varsity track team did not do too well at the Millrose Games in New York Saturday, Coach Jaakko Mikkola expressed himself last night as "confident that they are coming along all right," and was encouraged by the Crimson showing in the New England Field Events Competition.

Ted Bauer turned in the best performance at the Empire City, from the Harvard point of view, finishing third only by inches to Detwiler, Yale's best hurdler. He started slowly, but came up fast at the end of the race, and nearly copped second to Walcott of Rice, the world's champion.

Apparently the Crimson two-mile relay team got a case of stage fright, and that, coupled with their relative inexperience, partly accounts for their loss to a strong Dartmouth team, and a seasoned Cornell aggregation. The mile relay quartet lost second place to the Elis by inches in the Big Three affair, which was won by Princeton.

In the field events competition Mike Ford cleared the bar in the pole vault event at 12 feet, 4 inches to win, and Gerry Lenane and Steve Brooks tied for second with Paul Davidson from Bowdoin to prove that the Crimson is well supplied in that event.

In the shot, Dick Pfister finished about an inch behind Yardling Pete Garland, whose best put was 46 feet, 93/8 inches. Freshman Stu Grover did well in coming in second in the broad jump, and Phil Ziegler got a fourth in the weight throw. John Bunker tied for first in the high jump at 6 feet.

The Freshmen, except for the field events competitors, drilled for the Exeter meet over the weekend. Although they look fairly strong on paper, they have yet to meet any real competition.