De Haas Predicts No Allied Attack Possible In Indies

Lack Of Ships Will Prohibit Drive Now

"There has been some talk recently of an Allied offensive in the Far East, but I do not think it likely," J. Anton de Haas, William Ziegler Professor of International Relationships said yesterday.

Again there is the question of where to start an offensive, de Haas pointed out. The north coast of Australia is not a practical base, and the south coast is further from Tokio than San Francisco or Hawaii. Men and munitions sent to southern Australia must be considered as a purely defensive move, he pointed out.

"I see only two ways to beat Japan at the present time," de Haas added. "The first would be to drive down through Siberia and attack Japan itself. This would necessitate Russian cooperation, and with our poor showings to date in the Pacific war, I think it is doubtful whether the Russians would agree."

"The other alternative that I believe possible," de Haas revealed, "is to assist England in holding India. We would probably have to do this operating from Ceylon and Calcutta and it would be largely a question of naval strength. Having held India, we could reinforce China and develop an eastern front on which to fight Japan."

"Because of our inability and slowness to get aid to the Dutch East Indies, we have jeopardized our whole strategic and economic position in the war. We have been shut off from many of the raw materials on which our industry depends, and at the same time our enemies have gotten many of the resources which they have needed to carry on the war."

If Tasmania and the Caucasus fall to Hitler, he will get the oil which he so badly needs, and he may be able to carry on the war indefinitely, according to de Haas. "The British blockade will be practically useless, he added.

"I dont think there is much chance of Japan attacking Russia through Siberia this spring," de Haas said. "It is to Japan's advantage to consolidate her position in the Pacific and exploit her conquests to get raw materials for her industry."

"I think it is quite probable that Germany will try to stabilize the Russian front and try to drive down through Turkey and the Caucasus and get to India before it is in Japanese hands. For years", he pointed out. "Hitler has dreamed of India as the final goal to his conquests, and it must be very maddening to see Japan on the point of getting there ahead of him."