Memorial Service To Be Held For Dr. Weiss

Tomorrow's Ceremonies To Commemorate Brilliant Life

Services for Dr. Soma Weiss, Hersey Professor of the Theory and Practice of Physics, and Physician-in-Chief of the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, will be held at 4:30 o'clock at Building C, Harvard Medical School tomorrow afternoon.

The death of Professor Weiss came as a shock to the staff and students of the Medical School, who remembered his strong personality and boundless energy. At 43 he had established a long record of medical achievements.

Born in Bestersze, Hungary, in 1899, he came to this country in 1920 receiving his A. B. from Columbia in 1921, and graduated only two years later from Cornell Medical School. After interning for two years at the Believe Hospital in New York he came to the Boston City Hospital where he stayed for the next 14 years.

First Appointed in 1925

His first appointment in the Medical School was in 1925, and a rapid rise through instructor in medicine, assistant professor, and associate professor was climaxed by his appointment as Hersey Professor of the Theory and Practice of Physics in 1939.

His work did not prevent his participation in many organizations connected with medical research. Professor Weiss was chairman of the University committee on Pharmacotherapy, member of the committee for Revision of the U.S. Pharmacopoeia, and of the Council on Pharmacy and Chemistry of the American Medical Association.

He was a national advisor of the Interne Council of American, and was an active contributor to the meetings of the leading medical and scientific societies.