BASEBALL MEN READY FOR '45 APRIL OPENER

Pitching Staff And Infield Taking Shape In Briggs Cage

The first signs of spring found the Freshman baseball squad hard at work in Briggs Cage, ironing out the kinks in muscles softened by a winter's in-activity and sharpening up batting eyes that will face some of the best hurling that Eastern prepsters and yearlings can offer.

Coach Adolph Samborski '25 opened practice the first week of February with a squad of 45, which dwindled and was cut to the 31 Yardlings that man the present squad. Practice is to be continued in the Cage until the weather permits use of the diamond on Soldiers Field.

Some of the best pitching talent to be displayed in recent years has been uncovered in the month's activity under the nets. Jim Mains, right-hander from Boston has the fastest ball of any hurler on the lot, and his speedy slants have impressed Coach Samborski. Dave Riley, another rangy ace sports a vicious sinker and a measure of control, while Andy McCullough, another hopeful is steadier than any of the '45 pitchers to date.

Duel for Catching Job

On the receiving end of the twirler's efforts have been catchers Dave Hodgson and Bill Hamlen. Hodgson has been active since the beginning of practice, but Hamlen was a latecomer, and in the last two weeks has been pressing the Milton Academy star for the mask and pad job.

The sons of old Erin have taken over the Yardling infield in grand style. Aside from being wicked wielders of the oak shillelagh, first basemen Jack Casey, keystone sacker Vince Leahy, shortstop Jim Gallagher, and hot corner guardian Johnny Kilpatrick have given the Freshman squad some of the fanciest exhibitions of fielding finesse that have graced the enclosed arena in many a campaign. The outfield has had little but batting practice.

The Freshmen open the 1942 season on April 16, facing Wentworth Tech of Boston. A schedule of 20 games will give the team a great opportunity to gain experience for later use.