CAMPAIGN STARTS TO SELL WAR BONDS, STAMPS HERE

Mass Meeting Opens Project Wednesday

At a mass meeting to be hold in the New Lecture Hall tomorrow evening at 8 o'clock, the Defense Service Committee will open a campaign to make the University "bond conscious" and get students here into the habit of buying defense bonds and stamps.

Under the general direction of Richard L. Hall '43, the campaign has as its immediate goal the raising of $10,000 by the beginning of the Spring vacation. Its primary purpose, however, is to encourage a regular purchase of stamps, on the theory that on the whole students less than any other group are making sacrifices to the government.

Designed to start the project off well, tomorrow's mass meeting will feature speeches by the Reverend Mr. Francis B. Sayre, Jr. of Christ Church and John T. Dunlop, faculty instructor in Economics. A motion picture, "America's Call to Arms", and a news reel of Pearl Harbor will be shown, while Donald Duck will make his plea for generosity through Walt Disney's latest cartoon "The New Spirit".

During the succeeding days, efforts will be made to sell bonds at dining rooms, news stands, and perhaps at janitors' offices. Plans for door to door soliciting have been given up until student reaction to the drive has been determined.

Commenting on the drive, A. Chester Hanford '17, Dean of the College said "I do not know of any more effective way by which Harvard men may be of direct and immediate assistance in the winning of the war while still enrolled in College, than by the purchase of defense bonds and stamps." The opinion of the Service Committee was expressed by Hall, who stated that "stamps are a good investment, as worthy and more attainable than Hedy Lamar at the U.T."

Present plans provide that the drive will be extended to the graduate schools as well as the College. The committee emphasized, furthermore that the campaign was not merely a temporary drive, but that it would last throughout the Spring term.