Justice Jackson Will Hear Ames Contestants Monday

Chase, Magruder To Sit Also Next Week

Taking a day off from his duties on the Supreme Court of the United States, Justice Robert H. Jackson will preside over the final arguments in the Law School's Ames Competition at 8 o'clock next Monday night.

Sitting with Justice Jackson on the "United States District Court for the District of Ames" will be Judge Harrie B. Chase of the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and Judge Calvert Magruder, of the United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.

Although the trial will be judged only on the ability of the student lawyers, the issues at stake, embodied in the fictitious case of Columbia Broadcasting System vs. Federal Communications Commission are real ones. Questioning the legality of the FCC's new broad-casting regulations, they have real counterparts in a recent suit before a United States Court, and are now being appealed to the Supreme Court itself.

As well as raising the question of whether the networks have acted as monopolies and suppressed competition, the legal battle between the networks and the FCC has brought up the whole matter of the scope and method of judicial review in cases of administrative regulations. The former issue has been recently publicized in a suit by the Mutual Broadcasting System against RCA and NBC.

Competing in the finals of the Ames Competition will be two groups of Students, representing the James and Powell Law Clubs. These men have survived three years of similar trials in a voluntary program for training students in legal research, brief writing and "oral advocacy."

The James Law Club is to represent the "Columbia Broadcasting System," and will have as its speakers Bernard Lisman of Burlington, Vermont, and Edward A. Smith of Worcester. Opposing them in behalf of the Federal Communications Commission will be James A. Doherty of LaCanada, California, and Donald MacDonald of Omaha, Nebraska of the Powell Club.

Also participating in the tournament are Arthur L. Krenzien, Halford W. Park, Jr., Harry F. Rice, Jr., Allan H. Smith, and Robert Taft, Jr., who will take part in preparing the Powell Club's brief. David S. Junker, Sherman S. Laurence, Henry Quinto, Jr., Mandal R. Segal, David S. Stevens and Sydney R. Rubin will help in writing the brief used by the James Club.