QUINTET TURNS BACK QUAKERS, 53-40

Buckley And Lutze Set Winning Pace

By A. EDWARD Rowse

Reverting to its old tactics of knocking off the leading contenders for the league title, the Harvard basketball squad snapped back off the floor where it had been put by Princeton the night before to smack Penn Saturday night by a score of 53 to 40 at Philadelphia.

It was the first league victory on the road for the Crimson this year and it practically tossed the Quakers out of the running for the league crown in more or less the same manner in which last year's two victories over Cornell kept the Big Red from first place.

The Quakers, who always are hard to beat on their own floor, had just dumped Cornell and Dartmouth in a row and were beginning to become real contenders. They still may end up in second or third place.

Buckley, Lutze Pacers

Chiefly responsible for the sparkling win were Ed Buckley and Don Lutze, gathering 14 and 13 points apiece and playing the major role in the winning surge of the second half, a rather new style of play for the Crimson.

For the first period, both sides had trouble building up a lead, but at half time the score read 26 to 20 for the visitors.

As the second half started, so did the Lutze-Buckley scoring combine, which practically sewed up the game as the Crimson team rolled up 17 consecutive points before the Quakers could put out the fire.

Bunks Burditt, who had failed to connect once for field goals the night before, tallied 11 points in spite of the fact that most of his shots rolled around the rim and came out again. He was the only man on the squad to last the full 40 minutes.

The "mountaineers," the tall men on the team, played most of the game with Buckley and Lutze being relieved only for a minute. Hugh Hyde, who scored seven points, was forced out of the affair about 12 minutes from the end on personal fouls.

The summary:   gls  fls  pts Lutze, f  5  3  13 Webber, f  1  0  2 Buckley, f  7  0  14 Burditt, c  4  3  11 Rothschild, g  3  0  6 Hyde, g  3  1  7   --  --  --   23  7  53