Cambridge to Register Bicycles in Two Weeks

University students who own bicycles will be forced to register with the city, it was revealed yesterday. Police Chief Timothy Leahy has announced that the city will open registration within the next two weeks, and that license plates will be given to all owners.

The Massachusetts State Legislature approved legislation dealing with vehicle registration in their last session, but a shortage of metal necessary for the numerous registration tags has delayed the signing until the present time.

Student Owners Must Sign

Because of the metal situation, a fee of 15 cents will be charged for each license. Under the statute, owners will have to apply annually for new plates in order to receive renewals of their licenses.

Students, as well as other Cambridge owners, will apply to their precinct stations for registration on the date set by the police department. The new ruling will affect the hundreds of bicycles in use here, as well as those that have been brought by students from outside the state. These bicycles will not be exempt from the licensing and plates will also be issued to tandems as well as all other types of two-wheeled vehicles.