Alcorn Paces Ten Men Elected to Freshman Committees

Successful Candidates Will Be Divided Into Jubilee, Smoker Boards This Week

John M. Alcorn outdistanced 45 Freshman aspirants in the Smoker and Jubilee elections held Friday, F. Barton Harvey '43, Student Council member revealed last night, in naming the 10 men who will comprise the boards.

Successful Yardlings following Alcorn in the voting were Thomas V. Keene, Joseph L. Eldredge, Sinclair Weeks, Jr., Franklin C. French, James E. McNulty, Whitson M. Overcash, Jr., Oliver D. Filley, Jr., Maurice M. Osborne, Jr., and Richard F. McCarthy, in that order.

Division of the 10 Yardlings into the separate Jubilee and Smoker committees will come later this week. Harvey and Francis Parkman '45, chairman of the Union Committee, are preparing the two lists.

A margin of 78 votes separated Alcorn from his nearest competitor, Keene, but between the second and 10 place men was a gap of only 35 tallies. The top man hails from Pontiac, Michigan and Weld Hall, and is one of the two members of the Union Committee named to the new board. Alcorn was in charge of the recent Freshman fete, the Frolics.

Number two on the list, Keene lives in Indianapolis and Matthews Hall. He captained the Yardling basketball team this winter. Eldredge, the third successive mid-Westerner to place, is a resident of South Bend, Indiana and Thayer Hall.

Weeks Takes Fourth

Fourth on the list, Weeks of West Newton and Weld Hall, nosed out French by only two votes. The fifth place man comes from Northridge, California and Straus Hall. He is also a Union Committee member. Business Manager of the Red Book, McNulty resides in Oak Park, Illinois and Thayer Hall. Overcash, who placed seventh, comes from Springfield, Tennessee and Matthews Hall.

Tied for eighth place with 180 votes apiece were Filley and Osborne, Filley of Bernardsville, New Jersey and Massachusetts Hall, Osborne of Boston and Lionel Hall. McCarthy, in 10th place, is from Chicago and Straus Hall. Election Results Freshman Jubilee and Smoker Committees John Marshall Alcorn  291 Thomas Victor Keene, Jr.  213 Joseph Lippincott Eldredge  204 Sinclair Weeks, Jr.  203 Franklin Culbertson French  201 James Edmund McNulty, Jr.  193 Whitson Makamie Overcash, Jr.  184 Oliver Dwight Filley, Jr.  180 Maurice Machado Osborne, Jr.  180 Richard Frank McCarthy  178