Crimson Skiers Hand Indians First Defeat

Ferner Leads Schuss Win; '45 Is Fourth

For the first time in skiing history, the Harvard A team shoved the front line Dartmouth schussers into second place, racing in the annual Schussverein Downhill Meet yesterday. Originally scheduled for the Bear Mountain trail, the race was finally run on the Wildcat, where Harvard took a close second to Dartmouth last week.

Finn Ferner made third place in 2:22.8 minutes, followed closely by Del Ames, fifth with a 2:31.2 time, and Hank Bigelow, again in the seventh spot clocked at 2:34.2. Will Cochran brought the Yardlings in after the University of New Hampshire, taking eleventh place in 2:36.8.

Matt Breaks Record

Toni Matt clipped a good four seconds off the trail record he tied the Sunday before to place first in the individual times with 2:12.8. Bob Meservey of the Green came out ahead this time in his duel with Ferner, clinching second.

In a field of 52 entries, ten teams, Tom Winship of the A team brought in a twenty-second. For the "B" team, Jim Gamble led with thirty-first, followed by Bill Apthorp, thirty-fifth, Mac Griffin, thirty sixth, and Dick Wood fortieth.

The Freshmen showed up very creditably, beating all but New England's top three teams. After Cochran came Duncan Reid at 16th, and Braley Cameron at 26th.

Dartmouth's feud with the University of New Hampshire, at its height during the meets at Hanover and Middlebury, was overshadowed by the Crimson coup. Townsend, in fourth place, was high man for the Wildcats.

The final team standings were: 1. Harvard "A", total time 7:28.2; 2. Dartmouth "A", 7:32.4; 3. Univ. of N. H., 7:47.4; 4. Harvard '45, 8:06.8; 5. Dartmouth "B"; 6. Schussverein Club; 7. Harvard "B"; 8. Piscataqua S. C.; 9. Norwich U.; 10. Wildcat S. C.