FIELD SERVICE CALLS RECRUIT MEETING HERE

Prospective Volunteers To Hear Veteran War Drivers

In a drive to recruit a large number of new ambulance drivers, two Harvard graduates, both winners of the Croix de Guerre, will address a mass meeting of prospective volunteers in the Hasty Pudding Auditorium, Wednesday at 8 o'clock.

Wendell Hastings '35 and Grima Johnson '42, both ambulance drivers in the Battle of France, will explain the purpose of the organization to all members of the student body who are interested in the service. Both men were on the field of battle throughout the 1940 fight, and received the top French honor as a result of excellent service. Johnson will return to active duty in the Middle East following his graduation in June.

Movies From Syria

Part of tomorrow's program will be devoted to movies on ambulance work in Syria, taken during the Free French campaign there last year. The meeting will be concluded with a talk by W. DeFord Bigelow '00, district chairman, who will explain the entrance requirements of the Driver's Corps.

Although a number of students have already enlisted in the Corps, officials in this area are anxious to increase enrollment in the current membership drive. Two Freshmen, as well as a group of upperclassmen, are now driving service cars with the Ambulance Corps on the far-flung war fronts.

The Field Service has been working as a unit in cooperation with all Allied armies on the far-flung battle fronts of the war. Its volunteer drivers have given outstanding service, even before America's entrance into the struggle and it has greatly broadened its ranks since Pearl Harbor. The opening flurry of volunteers has subsided and sustaining enthusiasm must fill the openings created by the spread of fighting to new theatres.