ROTC Holds Review In Honor of Colonel Hays

Mil Sci Professor Succeeded By Colonel Francis Doniat

For the second time this year, the ROTC Regiment will pay farewell respects to a departing professor of Military Science and Tactics when over 500 Mil Sci students stage a review on Soldiers Field for Colonel Philip Hays this afternoon at 2 o'clock.

Colonel Hays, who took over here after the departure of Colonel Henry D. Jay in December, leaves now to be Chief of Staff of the First Corps Area. He is succeeded by Colonel Francis A. Doniat, previously Acting Chief of Staff for the same area.

The review, a military custom for commanding officers leaving post, will be similar to the one held for Colonel Jay on December 12. The twelve Field Artillery batteries and two Quartermaster companies of the Harvard Regiment will take part, passing in review before Colonel Hays and a party composed of Colonel Doniat, Major George F. Conner of the Quartermaster Corps, Dean David of the Business School, Dean Buck, Major Morton Smith, Robert H. Hallowell '96, and William J. Bingham '16.

Had Varied Service

Before he came to Harvard in December, Colonel Hays saw a great deal of service at Army schools throughout the country. After graduating from West Point in 1906, he was a Lieutenant Colonel in the World War, and then taught at Fort Sill and the Army War College in Washington.

The new professor of Military Science and Tactics, Colonel Doniat, is alos a graduate of West Point. After serving in the war, he was a staff officer in charge of Field Artillery, and later was attached to an armored division before joining the First Corps Area.

The Dean's Office has announced that the review this afternoon takes precedence over any classes, and all necessary cuts will be excused.

Colonel Jay, who left after three years as P.M.S.&T., is now Chief of Artillery in the Fourth Corps Area. As was the review in his honor, the one today was suggested and arranged by students.