GUMMERE SEES MORE EMPHASIS ON SCHOOL VOCATIONS WORK

University Does Not Urge An Accelerated Curriculum

You might be soldering together a radio set or making model airplanes in a little while instead of taking Latin or History if you had stayed in prep school. Secondary school students will soon, as a result of the war, be devoting 25% of their time to handiwork and vocational subjects, and only 75% of their time to cultural courses, according to Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admission.

"The effect of the war," Gummere said, "will be to increase greatly the emphasis on the practical application of secondary education. The trend has already started in our secondary schools and it is bound to continue."

If a student is interested in radio and electricity, Gummere went on to say, he will probably only take four courses where ordinarily he would have taken five, and the extra time will be spent in a workshop in direct application of what he learns. "Every effort will be made to coordinate the student's courses will his workshop practice," Gummere revealed.

The greatest developments made by private schools during the war, according to Gummere, will be in the field of more manual work for students. "Some schools," he said, "have already started their own farms, which are worked by students. Others are asking students to help voluntarily in maintenance of the physical facilities of schools, while others are replacing servants with student waiters and workers."

In most cases, secondary schools will not accelerate their programs. Gummere said. The headmaster of one large prep school when asked if students would not demand an accelerated program, replied, "We'll give them enough radio and navigation to keep them happy, but we'll keep the time schedule as it is."

"Since the program of acceleration described above refers to the college course," a recent letter concerning war changes in the rules for admission said "and is not intended to affect the school curriculum, and since American boys should have their full share of deliberate and thorough school life and all the valuable by products of secondary education, the Committee on Admission will accept as candidates only those who have a school, diploma in immediate prospect and who have the usual quote of "certificate marks, in accordance with the Harvard pamphlet's description of admission requirements."