Commander Black Of Jacob Jones Taught Naval Sci

NROTC Instructor 2 Years Went on Active Duty in '40

Hugh D. Black, Lieutenant-Commander, U.S. Navy, and onetime associate professor of Naval Science and Tactics at the University, went down with his ship yesterday when the destroyer Jacob Jones was torpedoed off Cape May by an enemy submarine.

Lt. Commander Black took command of the Jacob Jones on April 14, 1941. Born in New Jersey, he entered the Naval Academy from that state in 1922 and was graduated in 1926, subsequently serving on various men of war both in the Atlantic and the Pacific.

In 1935, he was given his first command, a mine-sweeper, the Lark, which was in the mine force at Honolulu. He captained the vessel until 1938 when he was transferred to the Bureau of Navigation in Boston.

He reported for service with the Naval R.O.T.C. unit at the University in 1938 and was associate professor of Naval Science and Tactics until 1940 when he was made executive officer of the U.S.S.S. Benson.

After about a year on this ship, during which time he was promoted to Lieutenant Commander, Black was assigned to the U.S.S.S. Jacob Jones as Commanding Officer.

According to his friends and associates, Lieutenant Commander Black was beloved by his students because of his fairness and good humor.