Grapplers Oppose Yale Teams Here, Close Meets Seen

Varsity Will Fight Its Final League Competition Today

To top off a mediocre mat season, the mediocre wrestling teams of Harvard and Yale tussle this afternoon at 3:30 o'clock in the Indoor Athletic Building for the lesser honors in the Big Three, which Princeton has already cinched.

As even a match as anything the Crimson grapplers have run into, this afternoon's meet finishes dual competition for the year, leaving the Eastern Intercollegiates to be fought at Wesleyan.

Simultaneous with the Varsity match, the Freshmen Crimson and Blue will toss brawn against brawn on an adjoining mat. Here the home eight is given an upper edge, especially since injured Frank French will be back at his heavyweight post after a month's respite.

The Varsity competition, based on the traditional yardstick of comparative scores, appears a toss-up. Both squads have lost to Princeton and Penn by mighty margins, with Yale rolling up a slightly greater minority of points in both meets. The Elis, however, did snatch a two-point win from the Army team which blanked Harvard, 26-0.

Yale Won Three of Five

Yale has a record to date of three wins and two losses, while the Crimson, with one more contest under its belt, won only two matches and encountered two overwhelmed shutouts.

Ed Guild and Breck Marshall will again wrestle the lighter weights for the Crimson, as the two Sophomores did last week. Harry Blaine is slated for the 136-pound class and Captain Dick Thomas for the 145. Don Miles in the 155, Doug Burns in the 165, Lee Sosman in the 175, and Tom Rogstad in the heavyweight division are the rest of the Varsity entries.

Captain Brooks Parker is the only Senior on the Yale Varsity with four Juniors and three Seniors dividing the remaining positions. Already known to Harvard wrestlers is Johnny Castles 3rd, who will oppose Blaine and who placed in the Easterns last year.

New Yardling Team

For the Freshmen, Coach Jay Ricks has developed a completely revitalized team. Fred Greenhalge has been moved down to the 121-pound class and Ed Rothman takes over in the 128. Al Page in the 136-pound spot, Tom Cochran in the 145, and Gus Hemenway in the 155 are the usual center-weight trio. Dick Albion, however, has returned to his customary post at the 165-pound weight. For the past month he has been filling in for French at the heavyweight assignment.

Captain Charlie Gudaitis at 175 and French at heavyweight complete the Yardling squad, which will take on the unannounced Yale squad.