Hoopsters Upset B.U. 63-55 Capturing Local Title; High-Scoring Yardlings Win

Hyde Leads Cagers To 2nd Straight Win

By A. EDWARD Rowse

Riding on the crest of its longest winning streak of the year, two straight games, Coach Earl Brown's basketball five nipped a favored Boston University aggregation 63 to 55 last night before a capacity crowd in the Indoor Athletic Building.

In a preliminary encounter, Coach Al McCoy's point-hungry Yardlings held a feast on the B. U. Yearlings with a new high score, 85 to 54, surpassing by one point their previous record.

The Varsity hoopsters, by virtue of the well-deserved victory, automatically captured the mythical Greater Boston championship and served warning on the Elis that they are coming down the home stretch with full speed ahead.

Hyde Scores 18 Points

After a close first half, in which 19 personal fouls were called by the officials, the Crimson squad began to show its heels to the visitors during the second period and kept a comfortable lead to the end of the game. Hugh Hyde, who tallied 18 points altogether, sunk 14 of his total in this period to clinch the victory.

For over half of the first period, Harvard seemed almost asleep on the court as its offensive drive ran in neutral gear. Little effort was made to work the ball in or to follow up shots off the opponents' backboard.

But as soon as a few personal feelings were aroused in wild scrambles for the ball, the team realized it was in a ball game and really turned on the pressure until it held a one point 28 to 27 lead as the half ended.

From then on, the visitors were kept under control while Harvard built up a 10 point advantage, which was narrowed to eight in the final minutes as the reserves took the floor. Webber and Burditt were forced out on fouls in this period.

The summary:   gls  fls  pts Buckley  6  2  14 Webber  3  0  6 Finegan  1  0  2 Burditt  5  3  13 Scully  1  2  4 Elken  0  1  1 Hyde  7  4  18 Rothschild  2  1  5     --  --  -- Totals  25  13  63