PBH VOTES TO SHUT HOME OF FOREIGN MEN

Also Determines to Carry On Steele's Office Till Fall

Decisions to discontinue the International House and to maintain the P. B. H. placement Bureau at least until next fall, were reached yesterday in a meeting of the Phillips Brooks House Committe.

Composed of five Faculty members headed by Dean Sperry, the advisory board decided to close the House because of the financial deficit that the organization had continually reported. Future prospects for the institution were gloomy, since its decreasing membership had cost Brooks House $1200 already, and promised to require equal expenditures in the near future.

Offered Low Rate

The Club was established in 1939 as an experiment in low-cost housing for students. Through the three years of its existence, the institution has boarded a number of foreign students as well as other men desirous of taking advantage of the $3.50 per week rate. A losing proposition from the start, the situation became serious when the war cut into the number of occupants.

This year only 22 members of the University have been living at the House, 12 being foreigners. The closing becomes effective December 1, 1942, at which time most of the occupants will be absorbed into the University House plan.

Placement Bureau

Headed by John L. Steele, the placement office was offered to the University by P. B. H. last fall, on a purely temporary basis. According to present plans, Brooks House will continue to support it until November.

The Committee will then reconsider the matter, and the decision as to whether the bureau will be continued on a more permanent basis will depend on the placement situation at that time.

Tentative plans for next year were also discussed at the meeting. No definite decision, however, was reached.