Varsity Hockey Team Wallops Tigers 5 to 2

Late Scoring Rush Beats Nassau Jinx

By John C. Bullard

Faced with a 1 to 0 deficit at the beginning of the second period, the Varsity hockey team rallied in convincing form to defeat Princeton 5 to 2 in a game played at the Boston Skating Club last night. Thus a long losing streak came to a joyous conclusion, for the sextet's last League victory over the Bengals was in pre-war February, 1939.

Offensively the six continued the good work started against Yale, this time with better results. The climax came early in the third period when the revamped first line scored two goals in 19 seconds and put the game beyond recall.

Improvement Defensively

Tiger goalie Kelley was forced to make 39 saves to Ab Fenn's 32, and only in the first period did the Harvard netminder have more saves to make than his striped counterpart.

On the defensive the team showed great strides forward. Gone were the disastrous enemy breaks down the ice which resulted in goals.

Just before the close of the first period Princeton went ahead on a cleverly executed play which caught the Crimson out of position. Tiger right wing Faxon came in the Harvard zone and passed to his center, Dan Stuckey. Stuckey sucked the Crimson defense to one side and then passed to left wing Young, whose clear shot at the goal was good.

The newly formed Crimson third line tied the score early in the second period. Albie Everts passed to Demi Lloyd, and Lloyd's shot in to the goal was on the ice. Kelley got his stick on the puck, but he blocked it only partially, and the disc slid into the net.

Gordy McGrath put Harvard ahead in brilliant form shortly after. Taking Caleb Loring's pass in center ice, McGrath broke down the right boards, outwitted the Tiger secondary with his spectacular stickhandling, and tallied.

In the third the Crimson hit on all six. At 2:26 McGrath passed out from behind the cage to Dick Harding, who slammed the puck into the nets. The shouting had not subsided when Loring beat the harrassed Kelley from scrimmage in 2:45.

Harvard's last goal came at 7:57 on a George Hackett to Johnny Burton to Hackett play which covered practically the entire rink, and which left the Crimson holding a 5 to 1 advantage.

At this point Princeton recovered somewhat and forced the play for what time remained, but good work by Ab Fenn and the Crimson defense limited the Tigers to one goal on a long shot by Dick Schmon.

The Harvard summary:

Loring, lw, McGrath, c, Harding, rw, Paine, ld, Summers, rd, Fenn, g. Spares: Beebe, Acker, Burton, Hackett, Everts, Lloyd, Griffith, Dreher, Cowen.

First Period: Scoring--(P) Young (Faxon, Stuckey) 19:29. Saves--Fenn 13, Kelley 9.

Second Period: Scoring--(H) Lloyd (Everts) 5:58; (H) McGrath (Loring) 11:06. Saves--Fenn 7, Kelley 12.

Third Period: Scoring--(H) Harding (McGrath) 2:26; (H) Loring (unassisted) 2:45; (H) Hackett (Burton) 7:57; (P) Schmon (unassisted) 13:45. Saves--Fenn 12, Kelley 18