BEST YARDLING SEXTET IN SIX YEARS COMES UP TO ELI FRACAS UNBEATEN

Dick Mechem Paces Once Tied Freshmen

By Irvin M. Horowitz

For the first time since the rosy days of Austie Harding, back in 1936, a Yardling hockey team has come up to the Yale game with an unbeaten record. Only a 4 to 4 tie, suffered at the hands of the Dartmouth Freshmen two weeks ago, interrupts the string of 13 victories compiled by the Chasemen, who journey to New Haven tomorrow.

Also paralleling that halcyon era is the appearance of a man whom Coach John Chase rates as the best Harvard prospect, since Austie, first of the famous Crimson hockey Hardings. He is Captain Dick Mechem, a St. Paul's alumnus. Mechem's play has sparked the Yardlings in their every contest.

Mechem Paces Offense, Defense

Not only is Mechem the top puck-Chaser on defense, with a record of almost as many saves as the goalie in the course of a single battle, but his spectacular offensive feats have brought him to first place in scoring. The '45 leader has racked up 11 goals and 10 assists in 14 encounters from his defense post, more than any other Crimson puckster.

A fast-moving first line, centered by Tommy Ayres, brother of three-letterman Burgy Ayres, has been a leading factor in the Yardling streak. Flanking Ayres, Stan Collinson and Jim Apthorp on the wings have developed into a hardworking duet which looks better with every fracas.

Sharing duties with Mechem on the defense, and a bit obscured by his partner's spectacular deeds, is Orrin Wood, who limits his activities to protecting the goalmouth against opposing onslaughts.

Summers Has Three Shutouts

Goalie Jim Summers, recently recovered from the grippe, has three shutouts to his credit, and the early season victories especially featured his good performances. Howie Gadboys filled in for Summers in last week's Hebron fray, and looked very good for two periods. In the third stanza Gadboys wilted, however, and the Hebron six rang up four tallies.

The name of Harding seems connected with this club on every count, for Ned Harding, cousin to Austie, plays wing on the second Yardling line. Bill Hamlen, only recently replaced as a member of the first trio, centers the trio, and Art Lee, Orrin Wood's roommate, is on the other wing. Reserve defensemen are Skipper Carstensen and Paul Coste.