'45 Skaters Tie Yale 4-4 to Earn Undefeated Title

Jayvees Fail to Catch Elis In 6-4 Loss at New Haven

The season ended happily for both the Harvard and Yale Freshman hockey teams when they tied 4 to 4 at New Haven Saturday afternoon. Both entered the game undefeated and left in a similar condition. In the other afternoon contest the Jayvees spotted Yale a 6 to 1 lead and surged back with three quick goals to make the final score 6 to 4.

The Freshman standings are the most complicated in years. Harvard tied Dartmouth and Yale, both by 4 to 4 counts. Yale and Dartmouth, in addition, tied 3 to 3. Princeton, which bowed to Harvard and Yale defeated Dartmouth Saturday. Question: Just who is on top of that League?

Captain Dick Mechem sparked the Yardlings from his defense position, a not unusual statement, since such has been the case in every game played by the '45 six this year. The first period was scoreless, and Yale gained a shortlived lead early in the second. Neddle Harding evened things up from scrimmage shortly thereafter, and Bill Glidden them made it 2 to 1 for Harvard. Before the period's end, however, Yale had knotted the count.

In the third the Bull pups gained a 3 to 2 lead, but Mechem's brilliant solo leveled matters, and then the Crimson captain sent his team ahead with a score from a pile up in front of the cage. With three minutes to go Yale knotted the count at 4 to 4 and ten minutes of overtime left matters still undecided.

Jayvee Finish Fast

Harvard's very informal Jayvee team gave an extremely good account of itself against its organized rivals. Jock Elliott put the visitors ahead in the first period with a beautifully executed backhand scoop, but things looked Blue when Yale run up six straight goals.

Then the short-handed Crimson, playing with only two lines and with a defense bolstered by A. A. Peabody, whose hockey experience at Harvard apparently has been limited to this one game, came back strongly.

Goals by Moon MacMillan, Counce Morgan, and another by Elliott brought the Crimson within hailing distance of the Elis, but, in spite of continued pressure, the Jayvees never did catch up with their opponents.